State Theatre of Ithaca Inc. is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization that owns and operates Tompkins County’s last remaining historic theatre. Our mission is to enhance the cultural life of Ithaca and the Finger Lakes by preserving, operating and promoting the historic State Theatre as an active venue for national, international and community performances and programming. This organization is committed to being this community’s center of performing arts activity, as well as a cornerstone of downtown Ithaca’s economic revitalization.
The State Theatre building dates back to 1915. Designed by local architect Henry N. Hinckley, it was originally the Ithaca Security Company auto garage and dealership. In 1926, Cornell Theatre’s Inc., steered by two prominent Cornell University alumni – Lewis Henry (’09) and A.F. McCann (’16), purchased the building with the vision of converting it into a grand vaudeville palace. They hired celebrated theatre architect Victor Rigaumont to design and oversee the transformation… see more info about the State Theatre, its history, and its future here.